Saturday, February 25, 2012

Night Chapters 3-4: a Lack of Faith

First of all, I apologize for not being able to post in a while.  As a response to your last post, I completely agree with your last paragraph.  After being submitted to such dramatic events like Elie was, significant events no longer carry any positive or negative meaning.  It is simply another great wave that your boat is braving in the stormy happenings of your life.  That's a bit of a broad metaphor, but I mean to say that you simply absorb things that happen and do not dwell on them, simply understand that they exist. 
    In this post, I would like to talk about how Elie's religious beliefs begin to waver.  Immediately after his family gets of the train is when he first begins to doubt his god.  Through all the confusion, death, and mayhem around him, he simply cannot imagine that a god, the same god that was supposedly kind and omnipotent, could allow such terrible things to happen.  He interprets it as a lie, something that disproves the power of his god. 
     He no doubt continues to believe in his religion, after living in such a religious household all his life with highly religious family members, but he does not believe it quite as strongly.  Being such heavily indoctrinated with faith cannot be easily removed by any means, in any circumstances.  Disbelief is not being questioned here; Instead, it is simply a lack of absolute power. "But I had ceased to pray. How I sympathized with Job! I did not deny God's existence, but I doubted his absolute justice." (Night, 42)

No comments:

Post a Comment